Sunday, October 6, 2013

Iron Man Three


I finally got around to watching Iron Man Three, I've been busy lately watching the end of Showtime series Dexter and season finale of Ray Donovan, as well as checking out some of the new Fall television shows. There sure is a lot of stuff on television/cable these days – most of it junk, but a lot of good stuff too. I hope to get back to the weekly movie review.
I was a little bit disappointed with Iron Man Three, I think that perhaps I'm getting a little bit too old for the summer comic book blockbusters. It was fun movie, I have to admit that and probably worth the rental, but it left me feeling rather tired and shallow. Part of the problem is that I really don't like Robert Downey Junior. The Tony Stark character is really just Robert Downey playing himself – I don't see or feel any real acting there. And unfortunately Miss Paltrow, I believe, is just a pretty face there for the million-dollar paycheck. She really doesn't have to do much of anything, great gig for her... The bad guys are okay, but predictable. The plot is old, predictable and seems to be to contrived to be anything but sheer entertainment, which maybe is okay for a summer movie meant for 12-year-old boys, but these days I'm looking for a little bit more content, acting and emotion. I want to believe that the characters can somehow the real or their problems somewhat connected to reality. I found little in this movie. The computer-generated graphics were great, but in some places the action goes by so quickly that my old eyes can not follow what's happening. The different Iron Man robots were fun, Jarvis the computer is perhaps the most interesting character – I'd like to see him grow more in the next film. Of course there will be another... So, if you're like me, and you wait until the fall to watch the summer blockbusters, this one is probably worth the rental. If you're not into comic book action movies, skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment