Thursday, September 12, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness


Summer blockbusters are now starting to appear in DVD. There are several action films that I am looking forward to... Star Trek Into Darkness, is the one I most anticipated. If you are a Star Trek fan, like I am, and you have not watched this movie yet – rent it today!! When Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner passed the phaser on to the new Star Trek youngsters, I was at first very skeptical. At this point, I will say nothing about the debacle of the Next Generation movies, except that Captain Picard should've stayed on the small screen... However, the first new version Star Trek that came out a few years ago was pretty decent. This second attempt is even better! Captain Kirk, Spock, Bones and the rest of the characters seem much more developed than they did in the earlier movie. The actors have studied the old films, and the nuances and character flaws are all there for us diehard Trekkies to enjoy. The fellow that plays Spock, looked and acted exactly like Leonard Nimoy to me. The action is nonstop. The CGI is fantastic. The futuristic gadgetry is still there. The plot seems to be a prequel to a remake of the "Wrath of Khan"– which I hope is on the docket for a 2016 release (all I've been able to find out is that the next Star Trek movie is slated for 2016 – no information on the plot or title). Granted, the Star Trek story is still the same and the corny dialogue still exists, but I have to admit I love it. There's just something about exploring space, "going where no man has gone before," that captures my imagination every time. With this second movie, I believe that the Star Trek franchise has successfully remade itself for a new generation of Trekkies... And us loyal older fans are happy to come aboard and join the ride.

1 comment:

  1. When there's not action going on, the movie is still a lot of fun to watch. That’s just how Abrams rolls, and it totally works for the guy and the movie. Nice review Rick.

    ReplyDelete