Monday, September 2, 2013

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

My 23 old son recommended Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It is a British gangster movie set in London's East End, during the late 1980s or early 1990s. It is part suspense, part thriller and part comedy. The movie and the characters don't take themselves too seriously, which is good, and the purposely grainy cinematography adds to the comic book feel of the film. The dialogue is pure Cockney, sometimes a little difficult to follow. One scene even uses subtitles – slightly weird, but effective. For an old fella like me, there were just too many characters and the plot was to complex and twisted for me to keep up. However, I stuck with it and in the end it was well worth my effort. I thoroughly enjoyed how everything came to a great crescendo at the end, tying the suspense and story nicely together. The acting was acceptable, the characters were interesting, the dialogue was entertaining when I could understand it, and the action scenes were nicely done. Worth a rental if you are in the mood for a British style gangster movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment