Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lincoln

Awesome historically based film by Steven Spielberg; easily his best effort since Saving Private Ryan. I read that Spielberg took great pains to make the movie as accurate as possible. I'm so glad he took that extra time and effort, as it made the film realistic, authentic and horribly engaging. I believe that it succeeds not only as a superb piece of art, but also as an excellent educational endeavor/near-documentary. If I were still teaching ESL, I would show this film along with Glory when introducing the Civil War to my students. It is slow moving at times and the dialogue is occasionally hard to follow. The audience has to pay attention to the words Lincoln and his colleagues have to say—every phrase has important nuance and deep meaning. This is not a movie to watch if you want to relax or enjoy a roller coaster ride. It's a serious movie about slavery, morality, war and politics. If I had my wish, I would lock President Obama, the Congress and the Senate into a large theater and make them watch the movie over and over again until they learned their lesson and promised to attend to the business of governing. Even though the split over the issue of slavery was divisive and deadly, and the debates were ferocious and ugly, the Congressmen of that day understood that to preserve the union they had to vote and no matter which way the majority swayed, the nation had to move on. Obama and our current government officials need to learn the same lessons so we can solve the issues of deficit, health care, immigration, gun violence and global climate change. I was delighted, however, that the movie was much more than a history lesson and a political thriller. There was a story about a father and a husband that jumped off the screen. The cast of characters was spectacular. Daniel Day-Lewis was amazing as President Lincoln. He somehow channeled the emotional, intellectual, spiritual and physical essence of the man. I truly believed I was watching and listening to Abraham Lincoln. I thoroughly enjoyed all two hours and 29 minutes! Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment