Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cloud Atlas

An epic science-fiction/fantasy covering six time periods. Starring Tom Hanks, Halley Berry as the principal actors, and produced and directed by the Wachowski brothers (think The Matrix) – what's not to like? At least that's what I thought before I rented the 179 min. extravaganza. The problem for me is that these type of movies that involve multiple stories/plots and numerous flashbacks and forward-flashes require a lot of attentive listening and thinking – something that I often find difficult when watching a movie. The short duration of each flashback or "stay" in each time period/subplot, and the transitionless jump to each of the different stories (especially during the first half of the movie) made it difficult to remain engaged. I want to relax and be pulled along effortlessly. I don't want to have to stop in the middle and try and figure out what is motivating the characters, what time frame it is, or how the developing stories fit together. If I have to do that, I'd rather read the book. One of the six subplots could've easily been a full-length feature film. However, this movie did have everything – the past, the present and the future. Fine actors and actresses playing multiple roles. Excellent makeup and costumes. Wonderful cinematography and special effects, and I believe, if I understood the whole thing correctly, and interesting story. Without giving anything away, I can say it is about reincarnation and the interconnectivity of our lives throughout space and time – an intriguing premise that I have often included in my own writing/stories. With that said, if you like science fiction/fantasy and you don't mind following six different stories at the same time, then you might enjoy this movie. Otherwise, there's lots of other, better rentals out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment