Thursday, January 30, 2014

Captain Phillips


Captain Phillips, 2013 movie starring Tom Hanks is a wonderfully intense –worth watching. I was totally engaged from the very beginning and all the way through until the climactic end. There was not a moment that I was not riveted to the screen. The story, based on true events, was told expertly but rather blandly, without special effects, superhero fanfare, political preaching, heavy-handed patriotism or moral lessons. How refreshing! It was a straightforward story, told a straightforward way, there was more than enough content and drama to make a fantastic movie. I'm sure there was pressure to make it a "blockbuster" – Die Hard, Zero Dark thirty, type of film, but the director, writer, producers and actors resisted this temptation. Instead, making an almost documentary type of film that is low-key and yet horrifying in its portrayal of real events. I believe that the producers tried to present "Just the facts, please." but, there is some controversy about this – nevertheless, the film is realistic and believable.
Tom Hanks did a superb job as the captain. He seemed to be just an ordinary man, going about his business/his work, but I empathized with him immediately. I was able to feel what he felt—the terror, the fear, the uncertainty. I have to admit that during the last couple of minutes of the movie, I had to ask someone to wipe the tears from my eyes. The Somali actors were also superb. This is not a movie for young children, too intense, but adults who like good acting and nonstop suspense/action will enjoy it. I believe this is not a movie with a hidden agenda, but I'm sure some people will try to find one – you know, violent poverty-stricken Somalis versus rich American vessels filled with capital goods for the world. Please don't bother looking for the message, there isn't one. It's just an expertly made real life story. Worth a rental. Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment